Jo Barton's letter to electors in Churchtown, Crossens and Marshside



Dear Resident,

As your Liberal Democrat candidate in the local council election, I want to let you know a bit about myself and the issues I care about.

I was brought up in Hesketh Bank, and lived and worked in Southport until I moved to Devon with my young family. While there I served a full term as a councillor, including Chair of the Environment Committee and Chair of the County Neighbourhood Watch Association.
Jo Barton, Liberal Democrat candidate

I moved back home to Southport several years ago to be near to my parents. My children go to Larkfield, Stanley and Greenbank schools.

Since moving back here I've taken on several voluntary roles in the community, including Chair of Governors at Crossens Nursery School. I'm a member of the North Meols Civic Society, and I'm on the committee of the Crossens Community Association.

Green issues are close to my heart and I'm particularly pleased about the campaign to introduce cardboard and plastic recycling. I started this campaign with an article in the Visiter in January 2012. However, Sefton Council still won't collect some plastic such as yoghurt pots, and I won't rest until we have full recycling.

Last summer I helped to fight off Labour's plan to charge £46 a year to empty the green bins. I am keeping a watchful eye to make sure they don't try to sneak this back in the future.

I played a major part in the campaign to save Churchtown Library, helping to collect over 4,000 petition signatures. Sefton Council just wouldn't listen. I'm now involved with the group working to open a community library in Botanic Gardens.

David Rimmer is retiring as a Councillor, and with your support I hope to take his place alongside Councillors John Dodd and Nigel Ashton – delivering all year round for our community.

Thanks and best wishes,

Jo Barton
Liberal Democrat Candidate, Meols Ward