101 - the new Police phone number

Merseyside Police have a new number to ring for all non-emergency calls - 101

You should still ring 999 if it's a genuine emergency, like a robbery in progress. For all other police matters ring 101.

The Police website explains: You should call 101 to report less urgent crime and disorder or to speak to your local officers. For example, you should call 101 if:
    your car has been stolen 
    your property has been damaged 
    you suspect drug use or dealing in your neighbourhood 
    report a minor traffic collision 
    give the police information about crime in your area 
    speak to the police about a general enquiry

You should continue to call 999 when it is an emergency, such as when a crime is in progress, when there is danger to life or when violence is being used or threatened.

101 is being introduced as part of the government's wider work to improve access to the police, ease pressure on 999, and help to efficiently tackle crime and disorder.